Texas Democrats believe democratic government exists to achieve as a community, state, and nation what we cannot achieve as individuals; and that it must serve all its citizens.
We believe every Texan has inalienable rights that even a majority may not take away:
· the right to vote;
· the right to fair and open participation and representation in the democratic process;
· the right to privacy.
We believe in freedom:
· from government interference in our private lives and personal decisions;
· to exercise civil and human rights;
· of religion and individual conscience.
We believe in responsibility:
· that people are responsible for their actions;
· that we, who have benefited so greatly from our state and country, have a responsibility to support and give back to our communities and public institutions;
· that corporations are not people and should not be used to shield individuals from the responsibilities of their actions.
We believe in equal rights:
· guaranteed in Section 3 of the Texas Bill of Rights;
· and equality under the law guaranteed in Section 3a of the Texas Bill of Rights;
· and that no state may deny any person equal protection of the laws or due process under the law as guaranteed in the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
We believe in equal opportunity:
· to receive a quality public education, from childhood through college;
· to have access to affordable health care;
· to find a good job with dignity;
· to buy or rent a good home in a safe community;
· to breathe clean air and drink clean water;
· to have our voices heard and not be drowned out by the power of unlimited money to influence or buy elections and legislation.
We believe a growing economy should benefit all Texans:
· that the people who work in a business are as important as those who invest in it;
· that every worker should be paid a living wage;
· that good business offers a fair deal for customers;
· that regulation of unfair practices and rates is necessary;
· that the burden of taxes should be fairly distributed;
· that government policy should not favor corporations that seek offshore tax shelters, exploit workers, or pollute our environment;
· for all people, including those with disabilities.
We believe that our lives, homes, communities and country are made secure:
· by appropriately staffed, trained and equipped military, law enforcement and emergency services;
· by retirement and pension security;
· by encouraging job security where it is possible and providing appropriate assistance and retraining when it is not;
· by the preservation of our precious natural resources and quality of life;
· by compassionate policy that offers a safety net for those most vulnerable and in need; · and that family values are promoted through policies that value all our families.
We believe in America:
· made stronger by the men and women who put their lives on the line when it is necessary to engage our military to secure our nation;
· made more secure by competent diplomatic leadership that uses the moral, ethical, and economic assets of a powerful, free nation to avoid unnecessary military conflict.
We believe in Texas:
· made stronger by the individual strengths of our diverse population;
· blessed with opportunities provided by agriculture, “old” and “new” energy sources, renowned medical and research institutions and high tech industries;
· and we believe in the need for an honest, ethical state government that serves the public interest, not the special financial interests of those who “pay to play.”